- Third Floor: Non–Fiction, Language Learning Materials
- Second Floor: Fiction, Biography, Music CDs, Paperbacks, Adult Graphic Novels, Reference collection, Young Adult collection
- First Floor
- Reading Room: New Books, Large Print, Magazines, and Newspapers
- Media Hall: DVDs, Foreign Films, Music DVDs, and Audiobooks
- Children’s Room: Juvenile Books, DVDs, Audiobooks & Playaways
- Library of Things: Ask us for more information!
- Museum Passes with free or reduced admission to local attractions: Ask us for more information!
- Lower Level
- Archival Center: Local History and Genealogy Reference collection
Interlibrary Loan Requests
The Newburyport Public Library is part of the Merrimack Valley Library Consortium (MVLC) and has access to over 2.5 million items throughout the 36 member libraries. If the item you want isn’t at any of the MVLC member libraries, we can extend our search to include all Massachusetts libraries using Commonwealth Catalog. If you want a hard–to–find title (and it’s not found in Commonwealth Catalog), Information Services staff can search libraries throughout the United States.
Merrimack Valley Library Consortium (MVLC)
The Merrimack Valley Library Consortium consists of (36) area member libraries and is a great resource for getting popular materials that are checked out of or are not owned by Newburyport Public Library. You can request material online via the MVLC catalog or by contacting Information Services staff. Items requested through MVLC usually arrive within 7–10 days if there is no waiting list for the item. You will be notified by phone, email or text message when your items arrive. If you are interested in immediate access to MVLC online resources and don’t have a library card you can register for an eCard here.
For items that are not owned by the member libraries of MVLC, requests for materials from other Massachusetts libraries can be made through the Commonwealth Catalog. The Commonwealth Catalog allows you to search multiple online library catalogs throughout Massachusetts. Requests for materials can be placed online via the Commonwealth Catalog using your library card number, or by contacting Reference/Information Services staff. Items requested through Commonwealth Catalog can take up to three weeks or longer to arrive. You will be notified by email or phone when your items arrive.
Out of State Requests
Newburyport Public Library patrons can request hard–to–find print material that is not owned in the MVLC or other Massachusetts library by contacting the Information Services staff at 978–465–4428 x226. There is a fee for this service.